Site_Navigation

Thursday 18 October 2012

INTROducing: Samantha Morgan.....Advertising




Oh Hey! How are you??
Tired.  Work is relentless.

Give us 3 words that describe you best:
Driven, geeky and hungry

So, can you tell us what it is you actually do?
I’m a senior account manager at an advertising agency.  I work with a variety of brands as the ‘suit’ – this means that I’m the link between the client (a brand’s marketing team) and my agency (the creative and strategic departments)- collaboratively we work to develop creative business solutions.  These solutions could range from a 60 second TV spot, to an augmented reality treasure hunt – nothing is out of the question.  It’s my job to make sure we present and produce ideas that will answer the client’s challenges and that my agency can be proud of.

...and you're how old?!?!
26

Nice! How did you get into this?
I went to a careers day presentation by a planner at BBH who gave a talk on the ad industry.  I always wanted to work in a creative industry and loved the idea of solving strategic problems so began to research how to get involved.  I came across a ton of graduate programmes and applied to them all…  Eventually I got a place at a digital boutique agency.

What’s the most exciting thing you've done in your career so far?
I’m about to go on tour with a Mariachi band around the UK – should be fun.

What’s been your dullest job?
Data entry… zzzzzzzzzz

Where do you look/go for inspiration?
Here are a few sites which I like to peruse…

What took the most balls?
Leaving a really comfortable role in a small but wonderful digital agency to go travelling, without a job to come back to and bills to pay.  I knew it was time to move on and play with the big dogs in TV, but it was definitely a big risk during a recession.

The best advice you have for new graduates about to go into the 'real world’ is....
Take it seriously and work hard.  I treated looking for a job/placement like a job itself – interviews are tough – make sure you have a ton of references up your sleeve and have an opinion on them all.  In my job, you’re employed for you point of view – speak up!    

Also, never leave before work before your boss – if they’re still there, then so should you be.